Chilli & lime squid salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 1 hr marinating
- Serves 6
- 3 red chillies , halved, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil , plus extra to serve
- 2 whole squid tubes about 400g/14oz, cleaned and prepared (see tip)
- 2 large ripe avocados , stoned, peeled and sliced
- 100g rocket
- 3 limes , halved
- 3 tbsp crispy onions (I used Fresh Gourmet crispy onions)
- STEP 1
Mix two-thirds of the chillies and the garlic-infused oil in a large bowl and add the squid. Cover with cling film and leave them to marinate for at least 1 hr or overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 2
Just before serving, heat the barbecue or a griddle pan. Combine the avocado slices with the rocket. Divide between 6 small plates or bowls.
- STEP 3
When the barbecue is hot or your griddle pan almost smoking, add the limes, cut-side down. Tip on the squid, pressing lightly with the back of a fish slice to create charred lines. When the squid feels slightly firm, about 1 min 30 secs into cooking, turn over and press down with the fish slice again, cooking for another 1 min 30 secs or until the squid feels firm. Remove and place on a board.
- STEP 4
Slice the squid into 1-2cm rings and top each salad with a few rings and some crispy onions. Serve half a charred lime on the side for squeezing over, with the remaining chilli scattered over and a drizzle of garlic oil.