Chestnut mushroom, fennel & bacon fusilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Store cupboard ingredients, spices and seasonal veg make this recipe the tastiest way to get 3 of your 5 a day
- 50ml olive oil , plus 1 tbsp
- 2 fennel bulbs , finely sliced
- 2 onions , finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 red chillies , deseeded and finely sliced
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 250g pack streaky bacon , diced
- 350g fusilli
- 280g baby chestnut mushrooms , sliced
- small pack parsley , roughly chopped, to serve
- parmesan , grated, to serve
- STEP 1
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the fennel and onion for 15 mins, or until softened. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for 1 min, then add the tomato purée and stir for 1 min more. Toss in the bacon and fry for 5-6 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Add the mushrooms to the frying pan, stir and cover for 8 mins, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- STEP 3
Drain the pasta, adding a ladle of the cooking water to the sauce. Tip in the pasta and stir to coat. Add the rest of the oil and scatter over the parsley and Parmesan.