- 180g linguine or bucatini
- 160g runner beans, topped, tailed, string removed and finely sliced
- splash of olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 60g butter
Butter is a dairy product made from separating whole milk or cream into fat and…
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed in a pestle and mortar (not too finely)
- 30g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated and at room temperature
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
- 30g pecorino (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated and at room temperature, plus extra to serve
Boil a pan of salted water, add the pasta and cook for 4 mins. Add the runner beans and cook together for 2 mins, then drain, reserving the water.
Gently heat the oil and ¾ of the butter in a large, high-sided frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in the pepper with a wooden spoon and cook for 1 min, then add in a ladleful of the pasta water and whisk vigorously until you have the beginnings of a smooth sauce. Add in the rest of the butter, the pasta and the beans and half the cheeses, and stir, shaking the pan as you go to mix everything together and release starch from the pasta to make it extra creamy. Add in the rest of the cheese and shake some more until it melts and you have a silky smooth sauce. Ladle in more pasta water to loosen it if necessary, and make sure the pasta is cooked. Season with salt and serve straightaway with extra pecorino and pepper.