Cabbage with bacon & roots
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- large knob of butter
- 100g smoked streaky bacon , cut into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- few thyme sprigs
- 1 celeriac , cut into batons
- 2 carrots , cut into batons
- 1 Savoy cabbage , shredded
- small glass (125ml) white wine
- STEP 1
In a large pan melt the butter. Add the bacon and sizzle for 5 mins until golden. Add the garlic and thyme to the pan and stir for 1 min. Take the pan off the heat, remove the bacon mixture and reserve.
- STEP 2
Add the celeriac and carrot batons into the now empty pan with a little of the bacon-flavoured butter. Gently cook for 10 mins until soft, then add the cabbage and cook for 5 mins until it starts to soften. Add the bacon and garlic back to the pan, then add the white wine. Allow the wine to evaporate for a few mins then season the mixture and serve. This can be made ahead and left in the pan, then reheated.