Beetroot & butternut stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This vibrant vegetarian one-pot is packed with an impressive 4 of your 5-a-day, and makes a delicious low-fat and low-calorie dinner
- 250g raw beetroot
- 350g butternut squash , unpeeled
- 1 garlic clove , grated
- 1 small onion , diced
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 4 cardamom pods , seeds removed and crushed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 100g green beans , topped and cut in half
- 50g chard or spinach, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- small pack flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
- brown rice , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Peel the beetroot and chop into small pieces. Chop the butternut squash into small pieces. Put them in separate bowls until you need them.
- STEP 2
In a large wide-topped saucepan, fry the garlic, onion, cumin seeds, coriander and cardamom pods in the oil for 2 mins on a medium heat. Add 125ml water along with the beetroot and leave for a further 5 mins until the water has simmered away.
- STEP 3
Add 250ml water, the butternut squash and cinnamon, and leave to simmer on a medium heat for 10 mins. Add 250ml water and leave to simmer for another 10 mins.
- STEP 4
Add 125ml water, the green beans and simmer for another 5 mins until the water has simmered away. Take off the heat and stir in the chard and parsley. Serve by itself or with brown rice for a fuller meal.