Celeriac and Camembert Soup
Member recipe by themightygusset
A great Winter Warmer, using seasonal Celeriac and Parsnips and ripe, runny Camembert for a thick, smooth, creamy texture. Cook it in bulk and freeze the surplus !
- Note - the ingredients quantities are a rough guide only.
- 1 medium Celeriac - Finely Diced
- 1 large Potato - Finely Diced
- 3 Parsnips - Finely Diced
- 1 large Onion - Finely Chopped
- 1 Jalepeno Chilli - Finely Chopped
- 3 thick rashers dry cured, smoked Bacon - Finely Chopped
- 1/2 bottle Dry White Wine
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 1 pint good quality Chicken Stock
- 1/3 pint Double Cream
- 1/4 lb ripe Camembert
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan to serve
- In a large soup pan, slow cooker or crockpot : Sweat the Onion and Chilli in a little oil for a couple of minutes until translucent. Add the Bacon and continue to saute for another five minutes.
- Now add the wine, turn up the heat to a medium simmer and allow to reduce by approximately half. When the wine is reduced add all of the vegetables, the stock and the Bouquet Garni. Cover and simmer very gently for around an hour and a half. The idea is to just cook all of the vegetables gently, retaining all of the flavour and goodness rather than boil the life out of them.
- Once the vegetables are nice and tender, remove the Bouquet Garni blitz the soup to a thick puree with a stick blender or liquidiser. Add all of the cheese and the cream and continue to blitz until nice and smooth. Season to taste. Heat through until just simmering again.
- Serve in warm bowls garnished with Parmesan Cheese and a nice crusty rustic bread
- Add a couple of pan-seared Scallops for an extra bit of luxury !