Individual Apple Pies
Member recipe by emmafitz1996
ServingsServes 1 - 19 Tartlets
Perfect with a cup of tea these mini apple pies are the same size as a mince pie!
- For the pastry:
- 350g Plain flour, plus extra to to roll out the pastry
- 200g Cold butter
- 100g Golden caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 capfuls of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of milk to glaze
- For the filling:
- 3 large apples, chopped thinly
- Juice of one orange
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2-3 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- Put the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together until you have a mixture like breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and salt.
- Separate the egg and put the yolk into the flour, butter and sugar with the vanilla essence. Stir with a knife.
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time and stir with knife until it begins to clump together, then make a ball with it using your hands and knead until smooth.
- Put the pastry in the fridge for an hour. Peel and chop the apples and squeeze the orange juice over, then put the sugar and spice and mix in with your hands making sure the apples are all coated evenly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 fan and roll out the pastry to about half a cm thick (5mm). Cut out circles to fit your cupcake or muffin tray and place them in the wells of the tray.
- Fill each one to the top or just above with the apples and then re-roll the pastry to make the tops and place them on.
- Glaze them with milk and stab the tops once with a knife. Cook for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown.