- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Part of the lily, or alium, family, of which onions are also a member, garlic is one of the most…
- thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- 1 large onion, chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 courgettes, diced
The courgette is a variety of cucurtbit, which means it's from the same family as cucumber,…
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 100g red lentils, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 195g can sweetcorn, drained
Also known as corn on the cob, sweetcorn is composed of rows of tightly packed golden yellow…
- 420g can butter beans, drained
- 400g can kidney beans in water, drained
Native to the Americas, kidney beans are so called because of their shape and come in very…
Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the garlic, ginger, onion, courgettes and peppers for about 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the chilli powder and cook for 1 min more.
Stir in the lentils, tomato purée, tomatoes and 250ml water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 mins.
Add the sweetcorn and beans, and cook for a further 10 mins.