Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
Member recipe by bc
Known in the Middle East as Chorbat el Ads, this is a 'cooks-itself', hearty, delicious soup.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of red/yellow lentils
- 8 cups of chicken/vegetable stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin and continue cooking for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the lentils, add the stock and cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during cooking, especially towards the end, to prevent lentils from sticking to base of pan.
- Toss in parsley, stir in lemon juice and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- No blending is necessary unless you want it really smooth.
- Serve with chunks of crusty bread.