Our simple maraca is made using a fillable plastic egg and wooden spoons – if you need an alternative, you can always make a simple shaker from a cardboard tube. To do this, cut a cardboard tube in half, then tape up one end. Fill with a couple of spoons of rice, then tape closed and decorate as you like – we painted ours bright yellow with polka dots and trimmed with washi tape.
How to make maracas
20 mins, plus drying time
You will need
- Disposable wooden spoons
- Acrylic or poster paints
- Fillable plastic eggs
- Uncooked rice or dried lentils
- PVA glue
- Colourful washi tape or ribbon
- Paint the wooden spoons and allow to dry.
- Place a couple of spoonfuls of rice or dried lentils into the egg and close it.
- Glue the spoons to either side of the egg – line up the spoons so that the handles meet at the end. Let the glue dry.
- Stick a strip of colourful tape or ribbon over the join of the egg. Wrap some more tape or ribbon around the handles to hold them together. Allow to dry if using glue. Your maracas are now ready to shake, rattle and roll!