How to grill chicken
Learn how to grill chicken with a skillet for perfect results every time, including tips on flattening and marinating your meat before cooking.
Grilling or ‘griddling’ is a popular cooking method when it comes to cooking chicken. It keeps it moist, is often healthier than frying and leaves you with a delicious charred flavour. Grilling chicken requires a cast iron skillet pan. Follow this guide for tips and recipe ideas.
Tips on grilling chicken
How to flatten chicken
Flattening chicken creates a uniform thickness and therefore ensures the fillet is evenly cooked. This is usually a chicken breast, but if you’re using a thigh fillet just open it up first. To flatten chicken, take these steps:
- Cut two squares of parchment paper that are around the same size.
- Lay one piece of parchment on your work surface. Place a chicken breast on top of it.
- Top with the second piece of paper and lightly bash with a rolling pin or meat cleaver until it reaches a uniform thickness of around 1.5cm.
How to marinate chicken
If you have time, it's a good idea to marinate the chicken before grilling. Submerging the meat in an acidic marinade like lemon juice or vinegar will ensure the meat is juicy and tender. Strong herbs, chillies, spices and aromatics will penetrate through the meat and add flavour.
How to grill chicken
- Set a cast iron ridged skillet pan over a high heat for around 7-10 mins to get really hot.
- Flatten the chicken to around 1.5cm in thickness (as per the method above).
- If the chicken is marinated in oil, put it directly on the hot griddle. If it hasn’t been marinated, drizzle each piece with ½ tbsp oil and season well with salt. Don’t season with black pepper as this will catch on the hot pan and burn.
- Cook the chicken on each side for 4-5 mins if it’s a breast and 6-8 mins for thigh, turning with a pair of tongs. Leave to rest, covered, for 5 mins before serving.
5 of our best grilled chicken recipes
1. Grilled peach, chicken & feta salad
Try this summery salad with fruit slices and tangy feta – the tender grilled chicken is the star of the show.
2. Crunchy beetroot slaw with grilled chicken
Serve a substantial salad with crunchy strips of apple and beetroot alongside chicken breast.
3. Lemon chicken with fruit olive couscous
Using a zesty marinade, the meat stays wonderfully juicy and tender.
4. Grilled chicken with spicy guacamole & corn chips
Try this juicy chicken dish bursting with Mexican-inspired flavours.
5. Griddled chicken with quinoa Greek salad
With fibre-filled grains and healthy fresh tomatoes, this refreshing recipe works well as part of a buffet.