How to use a slow cooker
Our beginner's guide to using a slow cooker shows you how to get the most out of this essential kitchen kit, plus gives you ideas for slow cooker recipes too.
Points to remember:
- Keep vegetables chunky so that they retain their shape.
- Use 1/3 less liquid when cooking in a slow cooker.
- Submerge herbs in the liquid so that you get the most from their flavour.
- Brown meat first to add flavour.
- Thicken sauces with a little cornflour mixed with water if needed.
- You can put a slow cooker on before you go to bed or when you go to work as it cooks very gently and evenly.
- You can also make sweet things in a slow cooker - such as our slow cooker cheesecake.
Check out some more slow cooker recipes:
Make sure you are using the best kitchen equipment with our review of the best slow cookers.