How to make the perfect crumble
Try our app for ad-free recipe inspiration – download now
Cassie Best shows you how to make the perfect crumble with a variety of fruits and two cooking techniques.
- If you're using hard fruit, such as apples, pears or quince, either cut the fruit into small pieces, or cook it before it goes into the dish.
- Remember to peel and remove any blemishes from harder fruits.
- If you're using soft fruit like berries, peaches or plums, it's a good idea to cook it with some cornflour before it goes into the oven, to help thicken the juices.
- Rub the ingredients for the topping togther until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, don't worry about any lumps, that will just give the topping a nice texture.
- If you prefer a crunchier topping, cook the crumble seperate from the fruit.