Points to remember
- Melt the chocolate and butter with the coffee in a heavy-based pan.
- Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, light muscovado sugar, golden caster sugar and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Break any lumps with your fingertips.
- Beat the eggs and stir in the buttermilk.
- Pour the chocolate and egg mixtures into the flour, stirring to a smooth consistency.
- Pour into your prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven.
- Chop the chocolate for the ganache.
- Heat the cream and sugar until nearly boiling and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Cut the cake in half or thirds and lift the layer or layers off.
- Put the bottom layer on your serving dish and spoon on a little ganache over. Repeat with the next layer if you've cut your cake into thirds.
- Put the top layer on the cake and pour over the remaining ganache.
- Use a palette knife to smooth it over the surface.
- Decorate with chocolate curls.
For the full recipe, see our Ultimate chocolate cake recipe.