Points to remember
- Let the yeasty mixture go frothy before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Rub the butter and flour together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Use your hands to mix the dough - it will be very sticky but comes together when kneaded.
- Knead for about 10 minutes until stretchy and smooth on a lightly floured surface.
- Cover until doubled in size for one to three hours.
- Knock back the dough for two minutes before shaping - the dough will be a lot less sticky now.
- Use minimal flour when shaping as it will change the texture of your brioche.
- Once shaped, prove for an hour or two, until doubled in size before baking.
- Glaze with beaten egg for a shiny top and bake in the lower part of the oven.Try this technique with our apricot brioche recipe.