- Bao buns are steamed buns, rather than baked.
- Knead your dough for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. If doing it by hand knead for 15-20 mins.
- Leave to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Roll the slightly sticky dough into a sausage shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into 10 round balls/buns.
- To get the bao shape, roll each bun into an oval with a rolling pin. Grease each bun with a little oil and grease a skewer, inserting in the middle and folding the dough over so you can easily transfer to a baking sheet.
- Leave to rise for 1 hour or until puffed up.
- Steam in bamboo steamers, making sure the buns are on parchment so they don’t stick.
- Steam for about 10 minutes in batches and then slice using a serrated knife before filling.
FOR THE FULL RECIPE
You can find all the quantities and full written instructions in our steamed bao buns recipe.