How to make American pancakes
Magazine subscription – choose a brand-new cookbook when you subscribe
Make light and fluffy American-style pancakes for a mouthwatering brunch or dessert.
Points to remember
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and make a well in the centre.
- Beat the egg and milk together and whisk into the dry mixture to make a thick smooth batter.
- Beat in the melted butter and add any flavourings like blueberries or vanilla extract.
- Heat a knob of butter and a little oil on a medium heat until foaming.
- Drop a large tablespoon of batter into the pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Small bubbles will appear on the surface of each pancake. Turn over and continue cooking until golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with extra fruit, syrup or whipped cream.