How to cream butter and sugar video
Try our app for ad-free recipe inspiration - 6 months for £4.99
How to beat together butter and sugar for a light, fluffy cake.
Points to remember
- Lots of classic cake recipes begin with creaming butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy before then adding the eggs and flour. Here we demonstrate how to do this using electric beaters. Alternatively, you can use a wooden spoon but it will take longer.
- Take some softened butter and place it in a deep bowl along with the sugar.
- Use an electric whisk on its slowest speed initially, then increase the speed to create a light and fluffy mixture.
- Stop whisking occasionally to scrape the mixture down from the sides of the bowl back into the middle, then continue whisking.
- When the mixture is pale and airy it's ready to use in your recipes.
CREAMING BUTTER AND SUGAR
If the butter breaks down during softening or creaming, place the butter, or the butter and sugar mixture, into the fridge for 5 to 15 minutes, then start creaming again.