How to cook rice perfectly every time:
- Measure the dry basmati rice in a jug. Use 75g for one serving.
- Wash and rinse the rice really well in cold water, until the water is clear. Drain in a colander.
- Place in a saucepan with double the amount of water and a little salt and stir once (so for 75g serving, add 150ml water).
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down and cover the pan tightly with a lid.
- Cook on the lowest heat possible for 10-15 mins without uncovering the pan.
- Use a fork to fluff up the cooked rice.
Don't stir the rice throughout the cooking – it will make it stodgy.
Don't cook the rice on too high a heat – it may stick and burn on the bottom before the rest of the rice is cooked.