Points to remember:
- Tip 50g plain flour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat 1 egg in another bowl then spread 50g panko breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Lightly poach 2 eggs then cool them quickly (easiest way to do this is to plunge them into a bowl of icy water) pat dry with kitchen paper, then coat one of them in the seasoned flour, dusting off the excess.
- Now coat the floured egg in the beaten egg, followed by the panko breadcrumbs. Repeat the beaten egg and panko coatings to make sure it’s really well covered. Repeat with the other poached egg.
- Half-fill a wide, deep pan with vegetable oil and heat to 180C (see our guide on how to deep-fry safely.)
- Carefully lower the coated eggs into the hot oil using a slotted spoon and deep fry for 1-2 mins or until golden.
- Drain the excess oil off by sitting the eggs on a plate lined with kitchen paper for a minute or so.
- We served ours with Greek yogurt, chilli oil, mint and parsley, but they’d be great on top of a risotto or as part of a brunch dish. For tips on poaching an egg see this technique video.
Find more egg-cellent recipes in our ultimate egg collection.
Enjoyed this eggy masterpiece? Try our other next level eggs…