Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Dad's spaghetti bolognaise
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Basic bolognaise sauce perfected by Steve
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 or 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Stock cube (beef or vegetable)
- Red or green pepper, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- Herbs, spices and seasoning - see instructions
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- Red wine (optional)
- STEP 1Fry the beef until browned and pour off any excess fat
- STEP 2Add onions and garlic and tomato puree. A little paprika and mild chilli powder added at this point gives a richer sauce. Fry until onions are soft.
- STEP 3Add tomatoes (1 or 2 tins to taste), peppers, mushrooms and half a pint of stock and bring to the boil.
- STEP 4Season with salt and black pepper and add some herbs. 1-2 tsp of mixed herbs is fine if you are a poorly equpped student. Alternatively basil, oregano, thyme are all good if available - 1-2 tsp in total.
- STEP 5A big splash of red wine is always good at this point!
- STEP 6Simmer for at least 1 hour allowing some of the liquid to evaporate and sauce to thicken. Serve with pasta of your choice.