Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spinach, mushroom and cheesy bacon muffins
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12
This Savoury Muffin recipe is quite an indulgence and I absolutely love them straight out the oven smothered in butter. The recipe can be adapted for veggies by removing bacon and adding feta, sun dried tomatoes etc.
- 200g smoked diced cooking bacon (fat removed and chopped)
- 1T olive oil
- 200g Button Mushrooms finely chopped
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 3t Baking Powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 blocks of frozen spinach (defrosted to packet instructions)
- 80g butter melted
- 2 eggs (lightly whisked)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- Some freshly ground pepper
- Hand full of Pumpkin seeds for sprinkling (Optional)
- STEP 1In a frying pan (skillet) fry bacon over a medium-high heat until light and golden stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- STEP 2Remove to a kitchen paper covered plate.
- STEP 3Increase heat to high, add oil and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes till tender and then set aside to cool.
- STEP 4Put the Frozen blocks of spinach in the pan and allow to defrost with a drop of water on a low heat. Drain the spinach of any excess water and set aside to cool
- STEP 5Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius
- STEP 6Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (regular size)
- STEP 7Sift flour, baking powder and pepper into a bowl, add cheese and mix together.
- STEP 8Whisk butter, egg and milk in a jug and pour into dry ingredients, stirring gently until almost combined.
- STEP 9Fold through the bacon, mushrooms and spinach
- STEP 10Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- STEP 11Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds
- STEP 12Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. Poke with a wooden toothpick and when removed there should be no crumbs on the toothpick - this will be an indication that the muffins are cooked through.