Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Dark chocolate mousse
- Preparation and cooking time
- Up to three hours in fridge
- More effort
- Serves 12
This is the recipe that my gran used to make - rich, creamy and dark. Great for family gatherings.
- One small cup of black coffee
- 1/2 oz of butter, softened
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 6 oz of good quality dark chocolate
- STEP 1Break the chocolate into small pieces. Place in a bowl and melt over barely simmering water.
- STEP 2Once the chocolate is fully liquid, add the coffee, and mix well. Add the butter next, stirring all the while. Ensure that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- STEP 3Separate the eggs and mix the yolks in with the chocolate mixture
- STEP 4Best the egg whites in an electric mixer until doubled in size and they form stiff peaks when the mixer is lifted. Gently add the chocolate mixture to the egg whites and mix well with a metal spoon, careful not to squash the air out.
- STEP 5Pour into a dish and leave in the fridge until it sets. As a finishing touch (optional), grate some leftover chocolate onto the top before you serve. Bon appetit!!