Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spicy lamb shanks
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Lamb shanks braised in a delicious spicy sauce. Very tasty and yummy!
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 400g chanteney carrots, larger ones cut in half lengthways
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 veg stock cubes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Heat 10ml oil in a large casserole dish (suitable for using on the hob). Brown the lamb shanks for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally so all sides have some colour. Remove and set aside.
- STEP 2Add remaining oil and turn down the heat. Add onions and fry until softened, then add garlic. Stir so the garlic does not burn. Add carrots, spices and tomato puree, then crumble in the stock cubes. Add 1.5L hot water. Bring to a simmer on the hob.
- STEP 3Mix cornflour with a little cold water, then stir into the sauce to thicken it slightly. Add lamb shanks to the casserole dish - they should be mostly submerged in the sauce. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 3-4 hours.
- STEP 4Remove from the oven, remove the lid and set the lamb shanks aside. Heat on the hob to reduce the sauce for a few minutes. Serve the lamb shanks with the sauce spooned over the top. Serve with potatoes / rice and green vegetables.