Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Italian Style Broccoli and Quinoa Patties
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 18 small patties
Vegetarian starter, finger food, toddler snack
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of quinoa, (rinsed in cold water really well)
- 1/2 stock cube ( I used low salt)
- Small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 handful of uncooked baby spinach, cut finely
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, cut finely
- Small clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 large egg
- 2 dessertspoons of plain flour (or cornflour for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup of edam cheese grated
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Sunflower oil for frying
- STEP 1Bring 1 cup of water to boil in saucepan. Rinse quinoa well under cold water. Add the 1/2 a stock cube to the boiling water and incorporate till dissolved. Add the quinoa and allow it to simmer for approximately 18-20 mins or until all the water has been absorbed. Allow to cool to around room temp.
- STEP 2In a separate saucepan boil enough water to lightly cook the broccoli, this will only need a few minutes once it has come back to the boil with the broccoli in it. Once you have cooked the broccoli, remove from the heat, cool quickly with cold water or iced water. Dice up the broccoli finely into pieces.
- STEP 3In a bowl combine cooked broccoli, uncooked spinach, parsley, crushed garlic, grated cheeses, egg, flour, pepper and salt (if required) and quinoa. The mixture should not be too runny.
- STEP 4Heat sunflower oil to high heat, spoon in dessertspoons full of the mixture to the oil. Fry lightly on both sides till golden brown. I always make one first as a tester to ensure the salt and pepper is right, as I make these for a toddler I don't normally add salt. Serve warm or at room temperature, great for finger food, starter, picnics.