Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Authentic homemade Tom Yum soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This is an authentic homemade Thai tom yum soup recipe that Thai people make at home a lot. It's light and clear.
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 inch piece of galangal
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 red chillies
- 1 lime
- 200g eryngii mushroom, sliced
- 10 large prawns, peeled
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 100ml water
- STEP 1Trim lemongrass stalks. Smash the stalks hard to bruise them as this releases flavour, then cut into 2 inch lengths. Slice galangal into 2mm slices. Smash red chillies. You can also chop the chillies if you want your soup more spicy, otherwise leave whole.
- STEP 2Throw all the herbs into a pot of boiling 100ml water. Boil for 2-3 minutes for the herbs to release flavours. Remove the hard central stalk of kaffir lime leaves and add the leaves to the pot.
- STEP 3Once the soup is boiling, add fresh peeled prawns. Let the soup heat back up for 1 minute, then add sliced eryngii mushrooms. Once the soup is boiling again, remove from heat.
- STEP 4Flavour the soup with lime juice and Thai fish sauce to taste. To balance the flavour, add the equal amount of lime juice and fish sauce e.g., 1 tbsp of each or 1.5 tbsp of each.