Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spinach and Apple Muffins
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes approximately 18 muffins
These delicious muffins will make you feel a little less guilty about having a sweet teatime treat, as they are full of good stuff such as spinach and flaxseeds. If you are not a fan of spinach, don't worry - everyone who has ever tried them was unable to guess what was in it!
- All-purpose flour 150 gr
- Plain wholemeal flour 150 gr
- Ground flaxseeds 3 tbsp
- Bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Ground cinnamon 3 tsp
- Caster sugar 150 gr
- Flora Cuisine (or similar) 4 tbsp
- Eggs, size L, 2
- Honey 3 tbsp
- Buttermilk 200 ml
- Fresh spinach leaves 100 gr
- Apples (I use green) 2
- Ginger, grated 10 gr
- Pecan nuts, toasted 80 gr
- Sunflower seeds for sprinkling on top
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan). Prepare muffin tin with paper cases.
- STEP 2Combine flours, flaxseeds, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and stir well.
- STEP 3Break the pecan nuts into smallish bits and toast them under the grill. Stir into the flour mixture, making sure they’re all coated.
- STEP 4In another bowl, combine sugar, Flora Cuisine (or similar), eggs and honey.
- STEP 5Wash the spinach leaves and squeeze as much water out of them as possible. Then put them in a food processor with the apples, buttermilk and ginger, and pulse until it resembles green porridge. Add to the egg mixture and stir well.
- STEP 6Now mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- STEP 7Spoon the batter about 2/3 into each muffin case, and sprinkle with sunflower seeds on top.
- STEP 8Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Let them cool down completely, otherwise they will not break away from the paper case cleanly.