Potato and Broccoli Bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Potatoes, broccoli and leek baked in a Cheddar sauce and topped with Parmesan.
- 1 large head of broccoli (approx 360g), cut into florets
- 50g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400ml of milk
- 25g of plain white flour
- 25g margarine/butter
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 small leek (approx 210g), finely sliced
- STEP 1Preheat the oven. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside. Keep the water for cooking the broccoli later.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the leek for 4-5 minutes, or until soft.
- STEP 3Cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- STEP 4To make the cheese sauce, melt the margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste into a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cheddar cheese and English mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- STEP 5Mix the potatoes, broccoli and leek with the cheese sauce and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.