Banana and Butterscotch Chip Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes one 900g loaf cake or 12-18 small cakes dependent on size.
A wonderfully light and soft banana cake with the addition of butterscotch chips which melt in the oven. Lovely as a cake but equally delicious as a pudding with custard!
- 2 ripe bananas about 400g
- 150g softened butter or Stork
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g butterscotch chips - I got mine from Waitrose
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml vegetable oil
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180c, 160c fan oven or Gas Mark 4. Line a 900g loaf tin or prepare baking cases.
- STEP 2Peel and mash the bananas.
- STEP 3Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- STEP 4Stir in the mashed bananas and butterscotch chips.
- STEP 5Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Beat the eggs together.
- STEP 6Add the flour mix and the beaten egg about a 1/3 of each at a time mixing well between each addition.
- STEP 7Finally stir in the vegetable oil and then pour into the tin or cases and bake for 40-45 mins until well risen and golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- STEP 8Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.