Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 450grams of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- 1 teaspoon of bread soda
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 110gr of sultanas
- 1 egg
- 350ml of buttermilk
- STEP 1sieve all dry ingredients together.
- STEP 2add sultanas
- STEP 3make hole in the middle and add egg and buttermilk (mixed together)
- STEP 4bring together to a soft dough (not too wet or sticky)
- STEP 5placed on a floured surface
- STEP 6Transfer to a baking tray. cut a deep cross into the loaf and prick the centre of each quarter .
- STEP 7bake for 15 minutes at 230 then reduce to 200 for 30 minutes
- STEP 8Tap the bread should sound hollow if cooked. put on wire tray to cool if soft crust is required wrap loaf in a clean tea towel when remove from oven.