Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Roast Tomato and Basil Tarts
- Preparation and cooking time
- Making pastry & chilling the cases - 40 minutes
- A challenge
- Makes 6 tarts
These little tarts make a great starter and work just as well served as a light lunch with a side salad.
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- Butter for greasing the flan tins
- 30 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkling of salt
- 250ml tub of creme fraiche
- 2 eggs
- large handful of fresh shredded basil leaves
- 12 tsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- STEP 1Put the tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in an oven dish, sprinkle with salt, shake about lightly to distribute and roast at 190C/gas 5 for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes start to look wrinkly. Remove and leave aside.
- STEP 2On a lightly floured surface hand-roll the pastry into a sausage shape about 200mm in length and cut into 6 evenly sized discs, roll each disc out so that is is large enough to line an 8cm mini loose bottomed flan tin.
- STEP 3Grease the flan tins with butter and line each with the pastry taking care to press the dough into the corners and leaving a little standing proud at the edges. Chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- STEP 4Pre-heat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Prick the bottoms of each tart case lightly with a fork and blind bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, remove the baking beans and parchment, return to the oven for 3 minutes to dry out the pastry a little. Remove from the oven.
- STEP 5Combine the creme fraiche, eggs, basil, salt and pepper in a jug suitable for pouring, this can be mixed in advance and left in the fridge until needed.
- STEP 6Sprinkle a teaspoon of the parmesan over the bottom of each tart case and place 5 of the roasted tomatoes evenly spaced in each. Pour the creme fraiche mixture into each tart until all you can see is just the tops of the tomatoes. Sprinkle a further teaspoon of the parmesan over each tart, return to the oven and bake for around 30 minutes or until the creme fraiche mixture starts to brown. Remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.