Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Basic white bread (Like mom's)
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 1 loaf
crispy crust with good white fluffy bread in the middle
- 8g dry yeast or 25g active yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (or honey)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- STEP 1In mixing bowl combine yeast, sugar and water. Let yeast activate at least 15 minutes. You will see yeast come to top and bubbling.
- STEP 2Add flour gradually to desired texture, mix at least 5 minutes with dough hook. Be sure not to put too much or too little. The dough should be elastic.
- STEP 3Transfer to big greased metal bowl. Flip dough around to get oil all over dough and cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double (depending on heat in kitchen may vary between 30-60 minutes. I put my bowl over the oven exhaust)
- STEP 4Punch the dough and lay on floured surface. You can use your hands to knead the bread but I use a marble rolling pin. Shape dough into desired shape and put in buttered baking pan. Let rise again with damp cloth (until double size or just about)
- STEP 5Cut slits on the risen bread and add butter with brush (all over). Cook 30-45 minutes until sounds hollow when tapped at 375F.