Cottage Pie with Thyme and Mushrooms
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
An all-time favourite, easy dish
- 675g minced beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml Port (optional)
- 400ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp redcurrent jely
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 500g chestnut mushrooms
- 1kg King Edward potatoes
- knob of butter
- a dash of milk
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- STEP 2Heat a large casserole (flameproof) dish over a high heat and add the meat. Break the meat up into small pieces until it browns. Add the onions and continue to fry for another few minutes.
- STEP 3Sprinkle over the flour, stir and blend in the Port and stock. Bring to the boil and stir until its thickened. Add the Wrocestershire sauce, redcurrent jelly, thyme and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- STEP 4Stir in the mushrooms, cover with a lid and cook in a preheated oven for about an hour and a half.
- STEP 5Remove from the oven and spoon into a 2 litre ovenproof dish and leave to cool slightly.
- STEP 6Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Add the butter and milk, heat and mash until smooth.
- STEP 7Spread the mash potato over the mince to completely cover the beef. Then drag a fork over the top to create a nice pattern if you like!
- STEP 8Cook in a preheated oven for about 30-35 mins until lightly golden and bubbling around the sides.