Curly kale, chorizo and rice stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 300g (10oz) cooking chorizo, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 100g (3 1/2oz) basmati rice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1l (1 3/4pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 100g (3 1/2oz) curly kale, chopped
- STEP 1In a medium saucepan, sauté the chorizo with a tiny amount of olive oil until golden and crisp; about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and discard the fat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrot and garlic, season and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the rice, paprika, and stock, then simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add the chorizo.
- STEP 2In a separate pan, boil some water. Blanch the kale for 2 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water – this helps the kale keep its bright colour and taste. Drain again, then add to the stew. Serve in large bowls.