Scottish Pancakes - Nan Ross'
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 18-20 Pancakes
My mother made these pancakes frequently, especially during summer months. We would pick wild raspberries that were made into jam & my mother would make batches of pancakes to serve with the jam. Just reminds me of summer!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk (250 ml)
- 2 oz sugar
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 1 oz butter/margarine
- 1 dessert spoon syrup
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1 level teaspoon cream of tartar
- STEP 1Place syrup & butter/margarine in microwavable dish & melt gently in microwave for about 45-60 seconds.
- STEP 2In a bowl, beat egg, milk & sugar. Add flour, baking powder & cream of tartar, mix.
- STEP 3Add slightly cooled melted syrup & butter/margarine to rest of ingredients in bowl, mix well.
- STEP 4Heat & grease girdle (or heavy based frying pan). Drop approximately a tablespoon of mixture on to girdle/pan. When bubbles begin to form on surface, turn pancake & cook other side. Cook until golden or darker if you like. If using a frying pan only cook 3-4 at a time to allow easier turning.