"Kale & Chickpeas with nuts and orange zest" salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- 2 hours for pre soaking chickpeas, or you could leave it overnight, and in the morning make a salad
- Serves 3
Healthy, nutritious and nutty salad with a sweet orange flavour...
- 80 gr of raw chickpeas
- 65 gr of kale, chopped
- 25 gr of green Pak Choi, leaves cut alongside
- 50 gr of red cabbage, grated
- 20 gr of carrots, grated
- 20 gr of courgette, grated
- 40 gr of cooked beetroot, finely chopped
- pinch of hemp milled seed
- 20 gr of pine kernel
- 35 gr of walnuts
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon of lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 teaspoon of sea salt ( I've used pink himalayan salt)
- STEP 1Place 80 gr of raw chickpeas in a deeper bowl, and pour one glass of water over it. Let it stand for two hours.
- STEP 2While chickpeas are soaking in the water, prepare the vegetables, regarding chopping and grating.
- STEP 3In a meanwhile, roast the walnuts &pine kernels in an empty pan, on a medium heat, for 7-10 minutes.
- STEP 4Then, in a large bowl add chopped kale, green Pak Choi, grated carrots, red cabbage, grated raw courgette, and roasted walnuts & pine kernels. Mix it well, and put it aside.
- STEP 5Now, after two hours have passed ( since we first soaked the chickpeas), place them together with the remaining water from the bowl to a pan or pot, and add 270 ml more of water, and cook them on a medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until soft.
- STEP 6Drain cooked chickpeas, and let it cool down for few moments. Then, add them to the large bowl with prepared vegetables and nuts, also add olive and sesame oil, lime and orange zest, and the sea salt or pink Himalayan salt. Mix it all well.
- STEP 7Finally, add finely chopped beetroot & sprinkle the hemp milled seed as last.
- STEP 8Suggestion: The portion of this delicious sweet nutty salad is rather generous, and can last for the whole day or even day after, by storing it in the fridge.