- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
It is extremely rich, and ideal for a dessert at dinner parties.
- 8oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 tablespoons rum
- 4oz unsalted butter, softened
- 8oz ground almonds
- Oil for the mould
- 20 Sponge Fingers (approx)
- Half a pint of double cream
- 4 fluid oz double or whipping cream for decoration
- Grated (plain) chocolate for decoration
- STEP 1Put chocolate and 2 tablespoons rum in a bowl standing over hot water, gently simmering, to melt.
- STEP 2Remove from the heat and add the butter until it has melted. Stir in the ground almonds. Leave to cool.
- STEP 3Line the base of a Charlotte Mould with greaseproof paper. Brush the paper and inside the rim with oil.
- STEP 4Dip the sponge fingers into the rum, one at a time. Use to line the sides of the tin, standing upright with sugared side outwards. Trim to fit.
- STEP 5Whip the cream until just firm. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- STEP 6Spoon the chocolate mixture into the mould and level the surface. Chill overnight.
- STEP 7Turn out of the mould the following day. Decorate with cream and grated chocolate. Serves 8.