Apple & Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 8
A Spanish influenced soup. Sweet, sour, spicy & smokey soup, with salty panchetta and apple sticks. Mmmmm!
- 250g Finely Diced Panchetta
- 2 Celery Sticks, Chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot, Peeled & Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp Ras el-Hanout
- 1/2 Green Chili, Deseeded & Finely Diced
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Peeled & Diced
- 2 Large Butternut Squash, Peeled, Cored & Diced
- 250ml Cider
- 450ml Chicken/Veg Stock
- 100ml Soured Cream
- 2 1/2 Medium Granny Smith Apples, Peeled & Chopped
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, Sliced Thin Like Matchsticks
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200oC. Drizzle about 2 tbsp olive oil over the diced butternut squash and mix well to fully coat. Roast in a deep tray for 15-20 mins until tender.
- STEP 2Heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium-high heat, and cook diced panchetta until crisp. Set aside on paper towl to cool and drain off the grease.
- STEP 3Turn the heat down to medium and in the same saucepan using any leftover oil and bacon juices, cook celery, carrots & onions until soft. About 10-12 minutes.
- STEP 4Add Ras el-Hanout, paprika & chili and cook for a further minute, keep stirring.
- STEP 5Remove the Squash from the oven and drain off any excess oil.
- STEP 6Turn the heat to high and add the butternut squash, potatoes & apples to the pan along with the cider. Allow the alcohol to cook off (About 8-10 minutes)
- STEP 7Add the stock and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the apple & vegetables are nice and tender. Add a good pinch a salt & pepper.
- STEP 8Blend the soup with a hand blender, or in a food processor until smooth and add soured cream.. Stir well and taste to check seasoning.
- STEP 9Serve with diced panchetta scattered on top and a few matchsticks of fresh apple.