gnocchi and pesto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 5
yummy cheesy gnocchi with a refreshing basil pesto
For the pesto
- 25g/1oz parmesan, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove (preferably roasted)
- 60g/2oz fresh basil
- 50ml/2fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 50g/2oz pine nuts, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the gnocchi
- 100g/3oz parmesan (or a similar vegetarian alternative), grated
- small handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked (or 1 tbsp of dried oregano)
- 350g/12oz mascarpone
300g/10½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- olive oil
- 50g/2oz butter
- To serve
- 70g/2¼oz rocket
- 25g/1oz pine nuts, toasted
- STEP 1First, prepare the pesto. Tip the parmesan into a blender or food processor. Peel the garlic, tear the leaves from the bunch of basil and add both along with the oil and pine nuts. Blitz to a paste, season to taste and set aside.
- STEP 2Now for the gnocchi, tip the parmesan into a medium bowl. Add the thyme (or the dried oregano) along with the mascarpone, plain flour, eggs and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix together to give a soft dough. Then tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead together to form a smooth ball.
- STEP 3Divide the mixture in three and roll each one out into a sausage about 60cm/23in long. Cut each ÂsausageÂ into 2cm/1 in pieces to give about 30 (so 90 in total). Halfway through, put a large frying pan on a medium to high heat with a drizzle of oil and the butter.
- STEP 4Divide the gnocchi between the two pans and turn down low. Leave the gnocchi to cook on one side for a minute, before carefully turning them over with a fish slice. Cook for a further four minutes, continuing to gently turn them every so often until they are crisp and golden all over and warmed through. If the gnocchi didn't fit in your pans then tip the cooked ones in a bowl, cover with tin foil to keep warm and cook the remainder, adding more oil and butter as necessary.
- STEP 5Once all the gnocchi are cooked, stir the pesto through until evenly coated. Add in the rocket leaves and mix together. Then, divide between four serving plates and scatter the pine nuts over. Give a good grind of black pepper and serve.