- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
Egg-in-a-hole, egg-in-a-basket, or toad-in-a-hole; whatever you call them, they are a delicious egg and bread hybrid. The perfect all-in-one breakfast.
- 1 slice bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- salt (just to add a bit for flavour)
- ground black pepper (optional)
- STEP 1Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter (or knife), cut out the center of the bread. Do not discard the cut out piece, we will need this later.
- STEP 2Heat a medium-sized frying pan to medium heat. Add the butter, once it has melted, swirl around the pan.
- STEP 3Add the bread to the pan. Let it cook on that side until golden brown. Flip the bread over so the cooked side is face-up.
- STEP 4Crack the egg into a small bowl then pour into the hole in the bread. Turn the heat to low, cook for about 2 minutes or until the egg has been cooked through. You can also flip the bread over to finish cooking the egg on the other side, I would recommend this.
- STEP 5Toast the cut-out bread piece from the beginning in the pan too and use this heart-shaped toast for dipping in the egg, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve!