Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
North East New Years soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus cooling
- Serves 10
A traditional bacon, lentil and suede soup from the north east of England
- 400g lentils
- 1 small suede
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 700g gammon joint
- 2 litres vegetable stock.
- 1.5 litres cold water
- STEP 1In a very large pan cover the gammon with the water and boil for 1.5 hours or according to instructions. Keep the liquor. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
- STEP 2Heat fat in a very large pan. Chop onions and celery and fry over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- STEP 3Meanwhile chop the gammon, suede and carrots into small cubes.
- STEP 4Add the suede and carrot to the pan and fry for a couple of minutes.
- STEP 5Add the gammon liquor, the gammon and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- STEP 6Leave to cool and once cool, blend. Reheat before serving.