Spiced apple & pear strudel
- Preparation and cooking time
- Few minutes to cool
- Serves 12
Quick, easy dessert, perfect ending to a warm winter's meal
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 80g sultanas
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets ready-made filo pastry
- 20g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200C / gas 6. Grease and line a large oven tray
- STEP 2Combine the fruit, sugar, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- STEP 3Mix the butter and milk together. Stack the filo sheets - brush each one with the butter mixture as you stack, using about half the butter mixture in total. Cut the filo stack in half widthways; cover one stack with baking parchment and a damp tea towel and set aside.
- STEP 4Spoon half of the fruit mixture along the centre of the uncovered filo stack; roll up to enclose the filling and seal the ends with a little of the butter mixture. Place the strudel seam-side down onto the oven tray and brush all over with a little of the butter mixture.
- STEP 5Repeat step 4 with the remaining ingredients.
- STEP 6Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes and dust with icing sugar.