Steak with goat's cheese sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 2
Try this simple variation on a family favourite
- 2medium baking potatoes , total weight about 500g/1lb 2oz, each cut into about 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 140g pack Delamere brie-type goat's cheese , at room temperature
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp green peppercorn , drained and lightly crushed
- 2 x 200g/8oz sirloin steaks , about the same thickness as your finger
- 2handfuls of watercress
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Tip the wedges into a roasting tin and toss them in the oil and thyme. Roast for 35-45 minutes, turning once, until they’re crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
- STEP 2
About 15 minutes before the wedges are ready, remove the rind from the goat’s cheese and discard, then cut into chunks. Put it into a small bowl and microwave on Medium for 1 minute to melt. Beat in the crème fraîche, return to the microwave and heat for another minute on Medium until the cheese and crème fraîche have melted into a sauce. Season with salt and the peppercorns and stir.
- STEP 3
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Season the steaks with black pepper and cook them for 2 minutes on each side for rare, or up to 4 minutes on each side for well done. Divide the sauce between two bowls for dipping.