Soupy chicken & mushroom noodles
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 800g pack large bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 4 thyme sprigs , leaves picked
- 30g dried wild mushrooms , chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 4 nests wholewheat noodles (100g)
- 125g shredded cavolo nero or kale
- 1 bunch spring onions , trimmed and chopped (use the white and green parts)
- 4 large garlic cloves , finely grated
- 300g button mushrooms , sliced
- STEP 1
Put a full kettle of water on to boil. Remove the skin and trim any fat from the chicken thighs. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large pan and brown the chicken all over with the thyme leaves. Add the dried mushrooms and bouillon, then pour in 2 litres boiling water. Cover and leave to simmer for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Remove the chicken from the broth and shred the meat off the bone with two forks. Add the noodles, cavolo nero and spring onions to the broth and cook until the noodles are tender but still have bite, around 7 mins. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a wok, add the garlic and fresh mushrooms and stir-fry over a high heat to brown them. Add to the soup and stir in.
- STEP 3
Serve the noodles and broth in bowls. If you don’t serve all portions at once, cool and store the leftovers in the fridge. Will keep for two days. Reheat in a pan with a dash of water.