Sesame-crusted tofu with gingery noodles
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Not sure what to do with tofu? Try coating it in sesame seeds, shallow frying and serving with a tasty Asian-style vegetable stir-fry
- 1 egg , beaten
- 300g block tofu , patted dry and cut into triangles
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp sesame seed
- 150ml sunflower oil , for frying
- 4 carrots , cut into matchsticks
- 1 red chilli , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- 50g stem ginger (around 4-5 balls), finely chopped, plus 2 tbsp syrup
- ½ bunch spring onion , shredded lengthways
- 250g pack medium egg noodle
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- STEP 1
Tip the beaten egg onto a plate and coat the tofu in it. On a plate, mix the cornflour, sesame seeds and seasoning and dip the tofu pieces into it. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat the wok and add 2 tbsp of the oil, plus the carrots, and stir-fry until tender, adding a few splashes of water if they start to stick. Add the chilli, garlic, ginger and most of the spring onions, and fry for a few more mins. Meanwhile, cook the noodles following pack instructions, drain, then toss into the vegetables, along with the syrup and soy.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Carefully shallow-fry the tofu pieces, a few mins each side, until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Scatter with the remaining spring onions and serve with the noodles and a little extra soy sauce, if you like.