Veggie Chinese pancakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 as a starter
- 200g mushroom , sliced (we used chestnut)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp rice wine , preferably Shaohsing
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 Chinese pancakes
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 5cm length cucumber , deseeded and sliced into matchsticks
- ½ Little Gem lettuce , shredded
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- STEP 1
Heat a small frying pan. Add the mushrooms, soy, five-spice, rice wine, sesame oil and sugar. Stir until the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce is thick, bubbling and clinging to the mushrooms. Warm the pancakes – steam them or heat them in the microwave.
- STEP 2
Serve the mushrooms, spring onions, cucumber, lettuce and hoisin sauce in separate dishes, with the pancakes alongside.
- STEP 3
To assemble, spread a pancake, with a little hoisin sauce. Add some mushrooms, onions, cucumber and lettuce. Fold the pancake and enjoy.