Roasted roots fattoush
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
We’ve given this classic Middle Eastern bread salad a winter makeover with good-value roasted root veg and a rich, brown-butter yogurt dressing
- 2 turnips , peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 parsnips , peeled and cut into quarters lengthways
- 1 swede , peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp dukkah , plus extra for sprinkling
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 pitta breads
- ½ tbsp sumac
- large pack parsley , roughly chopped
- small pack mint , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli , thinly sliced, deseeded if you don't like it too hot
- 100g pomegranate seeds
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the root veg in the dukkah and 2 tbsp oil and season well. Divide between two baking trays and roast for 1 hr until soft and beginning to char.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, tear the pittas into pieces and coat in sumac, the remaining oil, and some seasoning. Put on a baking tray, roast for 15 mins until golden and crisp, then set aside.
- STEP 3
For the dressing, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and cook slowly until nut-brown, about 8 mins. Immediately pour in the lemon juice and leave to cool. Once cool, stir in the yogurt.
- STEP 4
Assemble the roasted veg on a sharing platter with the herbs and pitta, then scatter over the chilli and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle over some of the dressing, and serve the remainder on the side.