Red pepper hummus with crispbread snaps
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 2
- 1 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 red pepper , deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 400g can haricot beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- assorted vegetable sticks, for dipping (optional – we used celery and purple carrots)
For the crispbread snaps
- 50g wholemeal flour , plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds (such as sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and linseed)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 50g full-fat natural bio yogurt
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- STEP 1
To make the crispbread, heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder, seeds and thyme. Add the yogurt and mix with your hands to make a soft dough.
- STEP 2
Place a sheet of baking parchment on the work surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough until around 3mm thick. You will need to turn and lift the dough, sprinkling with a little more flour as you roll so it doesn’t stick.
- STEP 3
Transfer the baking parchment with the dough on to a baking tray, then prick all over with a fork. Brush lightly with the oil and bake for 20-25 mins until lightly browned and dry. The dough will continue to crisp as it cools. Once cold, break into chunky pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, heat the rapeseed oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the pepper, cover with a lid and fry for 10 mins or until softened and lightly browned in places. Remove the lid every few mins and stir, adding a splash of water if the pepper begins to stick. Add the garlic and chilli flakes, and cook for a few secs more, stirring. Leave to cool for 5 mins.
- STEP 5
Tip the pepper, garlic and chilli into a food processor and add the haricot beans, olive oil, lemon juice and lots of ground black pepper. Blitz until smooth, then scoop into a bowl or two lidded containers and leave to cool. Serve with the crispbread snaps and vegetable sticks, for dipping, if you like.