Punjabi-style chickpea salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6 - 8
This Indian spiced salad makes a great side to tandoori meat or fish - chickpeas make it a filling vegetarian lunch option
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes , chopped into small dice
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 2 good handfuls kale , stalks removed, finely shredded
- large handful coriander , leaves and stalks chopped
- 15 mint leaves, shredded
- 3 tsp chaat masala , or to taste (see tip)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice , or to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- STEP 1
Heat a small saucepan and toast the cumin seeds until aromatic and slightly browned, then grind to a coarse powder using a pestle and mortar.
- STEP 2
Put all the ingredients, including the ground cumin, in a bowl and mix well. Season generously; add more chaat masala and lemon juice if needed. Leave for 30 mins to let the flavours combine.
This spice mix is sprinkled over many sweet and savoury dishes in India. It has a sweet-and-sour taste and usually consists of cumin, coriander, ginger, chilli, dried mango powder, asafoetida, black pepper and black salt. It’s available from Asian food shops, larger Waitrose and Tesco stores, or at spicemountain.co.uk.