Pickled red cabbage with walnuts & apple
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
- 1 small red cabbage quartered, cored and finely shredded (with a mandoline, if you can)
- 2 red onions , finely sliced (with a mandoline, if you can)
- 1 dried red chilli
- 2 juniper berries
- 2 allspice berries
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 75g demerara sugar
- 100g walnut halves, toasted and lightly crushed with a pestle and mortar
- 1 small pack dill , chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apple , skin on, quartered, cored and sliced
- STEP 1
Tip the cabbage and red onion into a bowl and season with 2 tsp sea salt, then toss together. Set aside for to cure for 20 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, pour 200ml water into a saucepan and add the chilli, juniper, allspice, vinegar and sugar, then bring to the boil. Tip the cured cabbage into a colander and rinse once under cold water to remove any excess salt. Pack into a large, clean container and pour over the warmed spiced pickling liquid. Put on the lid and leave in the fridge until needed. Can be made up to a week ahead.
- STEP 3
When you are ready to serve, drain the pickling liquid from the cabbage and discard the dried chilli. Bring up to room temperature, then stir through the nuts, dill and sliced apple. Spoon the salad into a large salad bowl to serve.